The Department has an active Colloquium series, typically having three speakers per term (Tuesdays at 3:00 in WJH 1, the Basement Auditorium). Topics cover the range of Psychology, from physiological to cognitive to social. The Colloquia represent a major advantage of being at Harvard -- we attract some of the biggest names in the field.
Coffee and cookies are usually served before each Colloquium. Announcements are posted several days in advance of each Colloquium; watch for them and don't miss the opportunity to hear top people in psychology talk about their research. Check the Departmental calendar under "News & Events" to see the latest speaker schedule.
There are several subject-specific weekly speaker series:
- The Research Workshop in Social Psychology meets on Tuesdays 12-1:15pm in WJH 105 and may be taken for credit as PSY 3420.
- The Research Seminar in CBB meets on Thursdays 12-1:15pm in WJH 105 and may be taken for credit as PSY 3340.
- The Research Seminar in Clinical Science meets Wednesdays 4:30-5:45 in WJH 1305 and may be taken for credit as PSY 3200.
- The Developmental Studies Seminar meets Mondays 1:30-2:45pm in WJH 1305 and may be taken for credit as PSY 3220.
- JDM Lunch - The decision making in economics and psychology workshop (a.k.a. JDM lunch) is a biweekly venue for presentations of work having to do with judgment and decision making. We hope to attract a mix of professors and graduate students, from economics, psychology, neuroscience, and the business school. We'll meet every other Friday from noon to 1pm. Lunch will be provided. Check the department calendar for talk locations.If you'd like to be included on our email list, please email Keith Ericson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sherry Hours made possible by the effort and care of Bill Santoro, provide a welcome Friday afternoon TGIF. Occurring occasionally, these affairs offer a congenial, casual and inexpensive way to end the week. Forget your Ivy-league preconceptions: folks wear denim, not tweed, and despite the name, more beer than sherry is drunk (at $1 a drink). Chips, music, and scintillating companions are provided for free - come on up!
Harvest Day is offered most years in the fall. Faculty give brief (roughly 10-15 minute) talks about their current research and then everyone gathers for a nice party.
Other Annual Events
The Department sponsors an annual winter holiday party in December for faculty, staff, and students.
There is a reception honoring new Ph.D.'s on Commencement Day in May.
During the summer there are informal outside BBQ's sponsored by the Laboratory for Developmental Studies.
These events will be listed on the departmental calendar under "News & Events."
Events are posted on the Department Calendar (contact the webmaster of this site to post an event) or in the Connection newsletter (see details on advertising in the Connection).