Listed on an approved Lab Re-Occupancy Form, or
Holding email authorization from Matt Nock (Chair) or Krista Lester (DAO).
Cambridge mask ordinance will revert to the pre-June standard (face coverings to be used all the time outside whether social distanced or not) as of 10/2/2020.
Northwest Labs (NW) is overseen by the Division of Science and follows the Research Laboratory Re-Entry Plan from the Office of the Provost. At this time, NW is operating at low density based on approved PI plans only. You must be on an approved roster before returning to the lab. If you are not on an approved roster and you need one-time access, please submit a request via the Building Access Request Form.
William James Hall, Shannon Hall, and Vanserg
Access to these buildings is managed in accordance with the Division of Social Science Laboratory Research (for labs) or Guidance for Exception Requests to Remote Work Policy (for offices). You must be on an approved roster before returning to the lab. Until PI plans are approved, these buildings are restricted to one-time access for move-outs and pick-ups of essential items only via the Building Access Request Form.
Preparing Your Plan
We are now in Phase 1.2 of Human Subject Research. This new stage of return planning includes updated forms and new focus areas. Please review the latest requirements below.
- If you are fully operational while working remotely, please continue to work remotely.
- If you have already submitted re-entry plans, we are working with the materials you provided and will be in touch with PIs to discuss any follow-up items.
- If you have not yet completed a re-entry plan but plan to return soon, please refer to the guidance below.
Given the important health implications of return planning, PIs are expected to be intimately familiar with the details of their own plans. Departmental review will consider room-by-room square footage and airflow (CFM) measures compared with the number of occupants in each room. Questions generated by departmental review will be directed to PIs for clarification.
Currently, testing rooms in WJH are limited to one person at a time. If your plan exceeds one person per room or any close contact exceeding 15 minutes, please contact Krista Lester for recommendations and possible alternatives.
Requirements for Lab Re-entry
- Review complete instructions for a Research Laboratory Re-Entry Plan
- Complete an FAS Lab Re-Occupancy Planning Form
- Complete a Schedule Template
- Work with other labs on your floor to complete an Interaction Template (if more than one lab plans to return)
- Submit completed materials via email to Matt Nock and Krista Lester for review and routing for Divisional approval
Additional Requirements for Resumption of Human Subject Research
- Review detailed Instructions for Returning to In-Person Human Subjects Research
- Review Guidance for Human Subject Research
- Review Phases for the Resumption of Research
- Complete a Human Subjects Research Resumption Request Form
- Complete a detailed SOP using the template for Specific Experimental Method and Indoor Harvard Location, as appropriate
- Complete a COVID-19 Information Sheet for Participants
- Determine Screening Procedures for Human Subjects
- Update your FAS Lab Re-Occupancy Planning Form to include any changes to your lab roster (one per lab, should include all approved personnel).
- Submit completed materials to Department Committee (Matt Nock, Randy Buckner, Krista Lester) for review and further routing
- Ensure you have current IRB approval prior to involvement of human subjects
Requirements for Office Re-entry
- For one-time or occasional visits, complete a Building Access Request Form and wait for an approval email (allow 1-2 days for departmental approval).
- For regular, repeat office visits, carefully review the Office Use / Regular Admin Visits guidelines and then complete the Repeat Office Access Request Form and wait for an approval email (allow 7-10 days for decanal approval--please note the bar is extremely high for these requests)
Guidelines for All Plans
- Generally, try to allow at least 10 sq. ft. and 100 CFM per person per room (see HVAC info for detail)
- If square footage and/or CFM are insufficient, request a HEPA filtration unit (Harvard-provided) or suggest alternative safety measures
- Specific schedules are required so the Department can ensure <25% occupancy on each floor and the entire building at any given time
- Soap, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and wipes are provided in common areas throughout buildings for shared use
- Other PPE and cleaning supplies needed for regular use within labs are the lab’s responsibility and should be outlined in plans
- Participant PPE is a lab expense and can be charged to grants in some cases (please check with the Business Office about specific grants)
- Harvard-provided surgical masks can be requested via email to Krista (calculate 1 mask per person per day times 1.5 times 30 for one month’s supply)
- Masks will be delivered from Bill Santoro to Lab Safety Personnel for further distribution within labs